“Improving health knowledge and health behaviour of people with intellectual disability through adapted (non discriminatory) health communication und information"
Previous research projects indicated that the health status of people with intellectual disability (PWID) is worse compared to persons without disabilities. Additionally, only few health promotion or prevention programmes (e.g. in the field of oral health or nutrition) exist. Also, Human Rights Violations according to the Articles 25 (Health) and 26 (Habilitation and Rehabilitation) of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities have been reported.
Within this dissertation project a theoretical model was developed to explain why PWID show negative health behaviour more frequently than persons without disabilities. This model shall help PWID to deal with their health problems autonomous and become more independent in health matters.
In a second step, this model was tested in a population of 200 PWID and in the general population (N=350 persons, including carers).
Finally, the results of this study will be transferred into a training module for health professionals as is shows how health professionals need to communicate so PWID do not need to be accompanied by their main carers in health matters.
Mag.phil. Barbara Brehmer-Rinderer
Clinical and Health Psychologist
Master thesis at the University of Vienna on “The frailty of people with intellectual disability and its influence on their perceived quality of life”
Health psychology and health communication
Adults with intellectual disability: mental health and challenging behaviour, aging (frailty), health behaviour and health risks
Human Rights Violations in health provision/services concerning people with disabilities
- February 2012 - …: Researcher and trainer of EU Project AGID (“Developing training modules for staff on ageing and disability issues”)
o Organisation of Focus groups and conduction of Focus groups (incl. frontline staff, family members, persons with ID and healthcare professionals)
- December 2008 – October 2010: Project Manager and Researcher in the EU Project eDESDE („Coding System for Long Term Care Services“), Faculty of Psychology, University of Vienna
o Work Package “Evaluation”: Development of Quality Assessment Plan and evaluation tools, conduction and analysis of evaluation
o Organisation of focus groups and moderation of their meetings
- October 2007 – Februar 2010: Management of the postgraduate training course in clinical and health psychology (Universitätslehrgang für Klinische und Gesundheitspsychologie; KlinGes), University of Vienna
- June 2008 – October 2009: Researcher and Trainer of EU Project CARERS (“Content mAterials to Raise Employability and Reinforce Skills of carers”), Faculty of Psychology, University of Vienna
o Congress organisation for Brussels
o Work Package “Dissemination”
o Development of a training for informal carers of ageing people with intellectual disabilities
o Conduction of this specific training in Vienna and Lower Austria
- December 2005 – April 2008: Project Manager of EU Project POMONA II (“The health of people with intellectual disability”), Faculty of Psychology, University of Vienna
o Organising interviews and teaching interviewing skills
o Conducting interviews with people with intellectual disabilities
o Cooperation with Service providers
- October 2006-2008: Student Assistant at the Department of Clinical, Differential and Biological Psychology, Faculty of Psychology, University of Vienna
Current Work as Clinical and Health Psychologist
- October 2009 – ….: Training of carers, health professionals and/ or people with intellectual disabilities
o Topics: mental health (psychological diagnostics); psychological, physical, social age-related health changes; intellectual disability (esp. diagnostics); health related communication with people with intellectual disabilities
- February 2009 – ….: Case Supervisor
Conference Presentations / Papers
- Graz (8 – 9.06.2006): Alter und Behinderung (Poster on POMONA II)
- Vienna (9 – 12.05.2007): 2. Gemeinsamer Österreichisch – Deutscher Geriatriekongress (oral presentation: „Einstellungen zu Tod und Sterben im höheren und hohen Erwachsenenalter“)
- Zagreb (10 – 13.10.2007): 6th European Mental Health Congress in Intellectual Disabilities (oral presentation: “Frailty syndrome and mental health issues in an older population with intellectual disability”)
- Linz (23 – 26.04.2008): 8.Wissenschaftliche Tagung der Österreichischen Gesellschaft für Psychologie (oral presentation: „Die Gebrechlichkeit von Menschen mit intellektueller Behinderung und ihr Einfluss auf die Lebensqualität“)
- Cape Town, South Africa (25. – 31.08.2008): IASSID 13th World Congress (oral presentation: “Frailty syndrome and mental health issues in an older population with intellectual disability”)
- Vienna (15.9. – 16.9.2008): Quality of Life Measures – International Conference (poster presentation for CARERS)
- Brehmer, B., Zeilinger, E. und Weber, G. (2008) Abschlussbericht des POMONA II – Projekts: „Die Gesundheit von erwachsenen Menschen mit intellektueller Behinderung“. Psychologie in Österreich, 5.
- Vienna (6.-9.05.2009): 4.Gemeinsamer Österreichisch – Deutscher Geriatriekongress (oral presentation: „Gebrechlichkeit, Sturz und andere physische Problematiken bei Menschen mit intellektueller Behinderung“)
- Amsterdam (3. – 5.9.2009): 7th European Mental Health Congress in Intellectual Disabilities (oral presentation: “The course of frailty in people with intellectual disability”)
- Brussels (10.2009): Final Conference CARERS Project (oral presentation of the results of Module 4 – Aging of People with intellectual disability)
- Vienna (11.2009): INIC Conference (oral presentation: “Results and implications of the EU-Project CARERS „Content mAterials to Raise Employability and Reinforce Skills of carers”)
- Linz (21.11.2009): Österreichisches Psychologenforum Jahrestagung (Keynote lecture: „Psychologie und Behinderung: Wissensstrukturen und aktuelle Forschungsergebnisse in Österreich“)
- Newcastle (3.2-5.2.2010): participatory workshop planning an upcoming international project on “health and adults with intellectual disability” (oral presentation: “Health Indicators of people with intellectual disability”)
- Brehmer, B. und Weber, G. (2010) Frailty vs. Disability in people with intellectual disability. Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Disabilities, 49-58.
- Bad Hofgastein (März, 2010): 5. Gemeinsamer Österreichisch – Deutscher Geriatriekongress (Oral presentation: „Der Verlauf von Gebrechlichkeit bei Menschen mit intellektueller Behinderung“)
- Rom (Oktober, 2010) 3rd IASSID-Europe Conference (oral presentations: “Creating a health promotion model for people with intellectual disability”; “The course of frailty”)
- Salzburg (13.12.2011): ich – du – wir. Kongress der Lebenshilfe Salzburg (oral presentation: „health of persons with learning disabilities“)
T: +43 1 4277-22347E: email@example.com
Human Rights in the
University of Vienna
Freyung 6, 1. Hof, Stiege II
T: +43 1 4277 - 22301
F: +43 1 4277 - 9223